Hello, I am Somin!
My (nascent) research interests lie broadly in understanding and communicating vast amounts of complex data encoded in text. Towards that end, I combine methods from natural language processing and information extraction to enable effective data analysis and communication. I am especially interested in data present in the vast biomedical literature and in the digital civics domain.
- RedHOT: A Corpus of Annotated Medical Questions, Experiences, and Claims on Social Media. Somin Wadhwa, Vivek Khetan, Silvio Amir and Byron C. Wallace. EACL 2023
- Towards System-Initiative Conversational Information Seeking. Somin Wadhwa and Hamed Zamani. Design of Experimental Search & Information REtrieval Systems (DESIRES). Padua, Italy. September 2021.
- CommunityClick: Capturing and Reporting Community Feedback from Town Halls to Improve Inclusivity. M Jasim, Pooya Khaloo, Somin Wadhwa, Amy X. Zhang, Ali Sarvghad and Narges Mahyar. ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). Minnepolis, Minnesota, USA. October 2020. Best paper award . [bibtex] [video]
- CommunityClick: Towards Improving Inclusivity in Town Halls. M Jasim, Pooya Khaloo, Somin Wadhwa, Amy X. Zhang, Ali Sarvghad and Narges Mahyar. Companion Publication of the 2020 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW). [bibtex]
- Semi-Automating Knowledge Base Construction for Cancer Genetics. Somin Wadhwa, Kanhua Yin, M.D., Kevin S. Hughes, M.D. and Byron C. Wallace. Automated Knowledge Base Construction (AKBC). Irvine, California, USA. June 2020. [bibtex] [slides]
- BitterSweet: Building machine learning models for predicting the bitter and sweet taste of small molecules. Rudraksh Tuwani, Somin Wadhwa and Ganesh Bagler. Scientific Reports, Nature. [ris]
- A hierarchical anatomical classification schema for prediction of phenotypic side effects. Somin Wadhwa, Aishwarya Gupta, Shubham Dokania, Rakesh Kanji and Ganesh Bagler. PLOS One. [bib]
other random musings...
In my spare time, I enjoy outdoors short hikes, bagpacking and camping), baking (with a recent interest in sourdough), travelling, and snuggling dogs (seriously, send me pictures of your pets). I'm also a mediocre runner.
I also enjoy exploring deep, long-term issues arising from socio-economic policies, law, and generally connecting people & ideas from related fields. Always happy to chat with interesting folks over coffee .
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
wadhwa.s [AT] northeastern.edu